Registering for USMLE Step 1 is a multi-step process that will take up to two weeks. After the initial registration on the website, you will have to have your school's registrar verify your enrollment and good standing. Only after the verification will you be able to schedule your exact test location and date. In order to ensure you get your ideal location and date, it is suggested that you begin this process three to six months prior to when you want to take USMLE Step 1.
What You'll Need To Register For USMLE Step 1:
- Social Security Number
- Visa / Mastercard number and expiration date
- 2 x 2 photo of yourself
How To Register For USMLE Step 1:
1) Click "first-time user" at NBME's examination services website.
- Enter SSN, idenitification, and medical school information
- Enter your name as it will appear on the identification card you intend to bring with you to the test
2) NBME will email an ID number & temporary password. Write down your USMLE ID# somewhere for reference. Login to the examination services website with the temporary password. Click Apply for USMLE.
3) Skim the first page, check the box at the bottom of the page (Check this box to certify …therein), and click NEXT.
4) Follow the instructions, and have a Visa/Mastercard ready for the $495 registration fee.
5) Print a 2 x 2 picture of yourself as well as the Certification of ID and Authorization Form.
6) Affix the photo to the form, and check the appropriate box above the signature field at the bottom before signing.
7) Turn the form in to your medical school's NBME official or registrar.
While awaiting the next step, bookmark Prometric's website as you'll likely visit them later when the time comes to select a testing date.Medliorator is the editor of Medliorate.com, a content aggregation service for self-improving medical students