The field of ultrasound technology is focused on utilizing advanced equipment to direct sound waves into a human body and analyzing the outcome images to diagnose medical ailments. Ultrasound technicians, also known as sonographers, must be well acquainted with sonographic instruments as well as human anatomy and the physics. Online ultrasound technician course offers students insight into different sectors of sonography including echocardiography, abdominal sonography, ob/gyn sonography, and vascular sonography. These courses allow students to improve their critical data analysis, manual dexterity, administrative, communication, and computer skills.
Online ultrasound technician classes offer students with knowledge in various sectors, including:
- Abdominal Sonography: Students may learn to use noninvasive imaging to detect and analyze medical ailments within the organs and structures of the abdominal area. This area of study includes the spleen, kidneys, urinary bladder, pancreas, gallbladder, and liver.
- OB/GYN Sonography: Classes concentrated on ob/gyn discuss the fields of gynecologic sonography and obstetric sonography. The gynecologic sonographic deals with the organs of the pelvic region, while the obstetric sonography examines the progress and condition of an expecting woman and her fetus.
- Vascular Sonography: The vascular sonography classes teach students about the pathology of the veins and arteries of the human body. Students learn to diagnose the diseases of the blood vessels that can cause conditions such as aneurysms, strokes, peripheral arterial diseases, and pulmonary embolisms.
- Anatomy and Physiology: Anatomy and physiology classes teach students about the structure of body. Through these courses students become familiar with respiratory system, circulatory system, skeletal system, functions, placement and appearance of organs, and many more.
- Sonographic Instrumentation: Students learn about the physics and different advanced sonography equipment. Typically the coursework of sonographic instrumentation include digital imaging station, EKG machine, and ultrasound transducer/probe.
The online sonography classes help students to develop their skills in various areas including:
- Communication: It is a must for potential ultrasound technicians to master the medical dialect. They must be able to communicate properly in a hospital setting, deal directly with patients, and convey the condition of patients to superiors properly.
- Administrative: Students learn to do the administrative tasks which go along with the technical activities. They learn how to prepare various reports, record results, participate in the maintenance of laboratory accreditation, and organize tight schedules for the specific machines.
- Computer Skills: The computer classes teach students about the current medical technologies. Students are taught about the software which is required to create ultrasound waves and turn them to proper digital images.
- Data Analysis: Students learn how to analyze and interpret the data returned by the ultrasound frequencies and differentiate between pathologic and normal findings, as well as the different sorts of phenomena that can take place during imaging such as propagation artifacts and attenuation artifacts.
- Dexterity: Students learn to manipulate the transducer around different areas of human body, maintain advanced sonography equipment, and take care of other related health care materials. They are also taught to place the patients in proper position for imaging procedures.
Kenneth Miller is a career counselor and a blogger. He has written lots of articles about online education and training. Find out more on his blog.